*Kids are expected to show work. An attempt at all problems assigned is necessary. They have their math notebooks to assist them. I always give time at the end of the day to start homework in case the kids have questions.
Chapter 1 will cover topics such as:
- Order of Operations
- Place Value Relationships
- Exponents and Powers of 10
To practice Order of Operations - play Name That Number:
- Deck of cards
- Play with the number cards for a less challenging game using the Ace as zero and the Jack as one.
- Play with all the cards for a more challenging game using the Ace as zero, Jack as one, Queen as 11 and King as 12.
- Each player receives five cards.
- From the deck turn over the top card - this card is your target.
- Using the five cards your given, use the order of operations to reach your target. You receive five points if you use all five cards, four if you use four cards, three points for three cards etc.
- Typically you can always find a way with all five cards using exponents, parenthesis, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.